Mar 11, 2011

Thoughts on Thoughts

Here is a thought that I often have about thinking. I usually think it when I am thinking about the way that I think. I don't know how often you think about thinking, but I think it is a good idea.

I first had this revelation when I was reading Chronicles Part 1 by Bob Dylan. At some point that book fostered or planted or engendered this idea:

How active is my thinking? Is my brain merely aware of ideas or does it take hold of them and chew them up into little pieces? If my brain is only aware of concepts, beliefs, and ideas then I believe that it is like a baby eating cereal. Not a lot of progress. If, however, my brain is actively thinking (taking hold of new thoughts, reviewing and revising old ones) then it will not only be more productive but I am convinced it will be more creative. It will provide itself with more material for imagination and creation, or really it will make better use of the material it has been provided with.

Just a thought that I thought you might want to think about...if you think you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment